Friday, February 02, 2007

Fat Camp Folly.

From today's independent.

"A FAMILY had their home repossessed after they missed mortgage payments in order to send their son to fat camp.

Linda Morris-Finn (44) said she took the drastic decision to risk the family home in Highbury Vale, Nottingham, because she was "desperate" to help her son Carl.

It cost £1,500 (€2,270) to send the boy who, at age 10 and 4ft 10in weighed 13 stone, to attend the Carnegie Camp for obese children in Leeds for two weeks last summer. The family was evicted two months later.

"It was sheer desperation," Mrs Morris-Finn said.

"He is a happy-go-lucky chap and he wasn't bothered about his weight. But I was, especially from a health point of view."

Mrs Morris-Finn, a support worker who now lives in a rented flat after divorcing husband Alf, discovered the 'fat camp' when she turned to the internet for an answer to her son's problems.

She then approached Carl's paediatrician at Nottingham City Hospital with the idea, in the hope that she could secure funding from the NHS - but ended up paying for it herself. "My ex-husband Alf knew I was missing payments on the house but we decided Carl was more important."

"Then, with one thing and another we just couldn't make up the mortgage payments and the house was repossessed in October.

"I now know there is NHS funding for this kind of thing so I'm trying to get it to send him back next year.

"Carl's a lot better than he was. He is more interested in food in terms of the calorie content and fat content. He is aware of portion control and wants to help prepare things," Mrs Morris-Finn said.

Carl did not lose a significant amount of weight during the two-week camp but has maintained a steady weight since, despite growing more than three inches."

This is madness.
Not only has this woman lost her family home-and ergo the home of her son, can you imagine the immense
pressure she has placed Carl under? He must know that he is the reason she sliped behind in her mortgage payments. That's a lot of guilt and unwanted anxiety to put on the shoulders of a young lad who is 'happy-go-lucky'
Why could she not have done something about this boy's weight herself, she is his mother after all. Why did she not restrict his calories, get him involved in sport and cooking at home. Where was his father in all this?
How unbelievely ridiculous is it to lose your home-and his- in order to send the boy to a two week 'fat camp', where basically they restrict calorie intake and get the kids to partake in more exercise.
I don't understand parents who cannot say 'no' to children. I don't understand a parent who on the one hand claims they have the best interest of their child at heart, but then allow their child to become more and more unhealthily obese. Children do not become obese over night. You wouldn't allow your ten year old sit around the house smoking or drinking Scotch, so why would you allow him to eat himself to ill health.
And then, after everything, the poor boy didn't even lose so much as a pound.
Crazy.

Labels: , ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Gerry said...

She could sell his playstation and games to make the money for the payments. Also kill two birds with one stone and not need fat camp any more.

1:05 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

I was thinking about going down town. Imagine being ten and thinking you and your weight was responsible for your mam losing her house? At ten?
Poor kid. I'm really not sure she should have him in the paper.

1:29 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still can not fathom why she thought the health care system should pay for fat camp when she is the one who caused the injury to her son, over the course of years.

Add to that the amount of bad publicity being heaped on the boy and it is clear that if this woman has concerns, her son isn't one of them.

2:30 p.m.  
Blogger Phibius said...

I doubt we are getting the full story here - repossesions aren't very common. Presuming, the price of "fat camp" was worth a few mortgage payments, no more. Would a bank really foreclose that soon, if there weren't some other "issues"?

2:32 p.m.  
Blogger smahman said...

Fatmammycat i hope you enjoy this...
http://smahman.blogspot.com/2007/01/undead-journalist.html

3:59 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's the easy fix. Throw money at a problem and it will go away. I can't say anything about this without sounding like an old fogey. I am an old fogey and i despair.

4:32 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

It could well be that there is much more to the story that this woman is letting on. But she had that poor lad all over the paper today as THE reason. And that makes me feel rather bad for the boy, he is only ten.
Feeling rather old fogeyish myself to day Pat. In the midst of packing I found a whole load of photos taken from the early ninties. You know, when a gang of us were on a night out somewhere. We were barely in our twenties and thought we knew everything...
Sigh. Babies, that's all, we look like babies.

4:53 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

I have a question, does anyone know if 'fat camps' even work?

4:56 p.m.  
Blogger smahman said...

Not as well as eating sensibly every day. I found a photo of my mates and I taken when we were 19. What happened to all those fresh faced young lads full of hope and aspiration?

5:12 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

It's really shocking isn't it? You don't particularly feel older, and you think you pretty much look the same and then BAM, a photo can send you back to ' de memories,' and you're stunned to see just how young and innocent you were.
My god, Country gay looks like an alter boy!

5:22 p.m.  
Blogger Foot Eater said...

I have not aged because I was born old.

FMC, are there as many fat people in Ireland as there are over here in Britain?

6:14 p.m.  
Blogger Foot Eater said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:16 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

I don't know Footie there was a survey done recently that sugggested two thirds of the country could be classified as over weight. I must looks and see if I can locate the link for it. Certainly it seem- to my eye- that there are a lot more chubby folk around than there used to be. But then people lead much more sedentary lives now.

7:50 p.m.  
Blogger Andraste said...

Definitely more to this story - I think she's hoping people will read it, have pity, and send her some money.

CAT - I notice Liaison Dangereuse is in your favorites...I just passed John Malkovich in the street yesterday morning. I smiled. He ignored me.

Now, get your drink on, and have a lovely weekend, dahlink.

8:13 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Will do, just heading out now for a G&T. I like that Malkovich line about his daughter who was six months at the time. He said, 'I only have two rules for my daughter, she will dress well, she will not have sex.'

8:53 p.m.  
Blogger Martha said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:41 p.m.  
Blogger Kav said...

Stupid feckin parents will do anything to shirk the responsibility of being a parent. She needs a kick up the hole.

9:46 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bout my feckin mum feckin igiot this is carl speakin dont call ma mum or ill report for threatin abuse to my dad who is a police officer

10:20 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home