Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Dog Crap is the Devil's smegma.

As a runner I am frequently astounded by the sheer amount of dog shit around our streets capital. It is really unbelievable.
Now some areas are a whole lot worse than other, for example Rathmines is pretty shit free, so it Rathgar, Crumlin is bloody covered in it, Kimmage too, Templeogue looks clean, but take a short cut across a patch of grass and you'll soon see- or rather feel- the crap.
A lot of my runs end with me standing one legged out in the back garden using the hose and a bloody stick to scrape the stinking shit out of the treads in my footwear. I curse a lot when I have to do this, I curse and think murderous thoughts about people.
Now I walk a CG's dog on a regular basis, and I always bring a selection of small plastic bags with me, he poops, I invert the bag, pick it up, twist the bag out and knot. It takes SECONDS. Admittedly there are a serious shortage of bins around and nine time out of them I end up carrying it for quite a while before I find one, but as it's tied it really isn't the end of the world. If I can do it, why not everyone bloody else?
So it was with glee I read of this morning's latest crap fighting strategy.

From the Indo.

"DOG owners beware -- Big Brother is watching you.

Dublin City Council, tired of having to clean up dog litter from the capital's streets, is to mount covert operations aimed at catching offenders.

Mobile CCTV units and officials working undercover will mount surveillance operations to police blackspots, including Clontarf and Sandymount strands, as part of its efforts to catch offenders. And owners who claim little Fido was caught short can expect no mercy. The city plans to step up its enforcement activity and has promised more prosecutions and fines.

The new regime was revealed yesterday in the council's Litter Management Plan 2008-2011.

The plan will also see celebrities used to front advertising campaigns aimed at reducing specific litter problems such as cigarette butts, chewing gum and fast-food wrapping, while a multilingual campaign will be launched aimed at telling people of all nationalities that littering is not acceptable.

The city council currently collects 25,500 tonnes of litter from the streets each year, and has a budget of €37m for 2008.

Yesterday a range of new measures aimed at tackling litter were proposed. They include:

l Construction sites will have to be kept neat and tidy or contractors will face prosecution. Industrial estates will also have to ensure skips and waste containers and not a source of litter waste, while management companies and landlords will have to keep premises clean.

l A name and shame campaign will be extended to include businesses, public bodies and individuals found littering, and a list of prosecuted offenders will be published annually.

l Council vehicles will be painted with anti-litter messages to help promote the message that people who drop litter are themselves "pieces of filth".

l Concert promoters will have to submit litter management plans to the council, and will have to pay the city to clean up if they are not complied with.

"Dog litter is a major issue, especially for kids, and it's very much an eyesore," spokesman Hugh Coughlan said. The council also proposes introducing by-laws later this year which will require businesses to agree practical measures to tackle litter outside premises.

Businesses will have to provide a certain number of bins, and must draw up specific cleaning plans, which must be approved by the council.

Residents' associations will also be provided with free litter-picking equipment and bags, and gardai will be drafted to help in specific enforcement campaigns against graffiti and litter.

A littering tip-off system will also be introduced, where people will be able to report illegal dumping via a website or through mobile phones.

Litter bins will be mapped using satellite technology to show the distribution of the bins across the city, with bins to be power-washed once a month.

Another 15 staff will be employed to tackle litter, and €750,000 a year will be spent removing graffiti."

Huzzah! About bloody time!
Naturally we'll have to see if this in enforced rigorously, but I hope it is.
It isn't difficult not to liter, it isn't difficult to clean up after your dog, it's isn't difficult to spit chewing gum-if you MUST chew the disgusting stuff- into a piece of paper and bin it, it isn't difficult to not drive up into the beautiful Dublin/Wicklow mountains and not toss great big sacks of household rubbish into lanes and culverts, no really, it' really is very easy not to do that.
All you need is an IOTA of consideration for other people and your surroundings. All you need to remember that the whole fucking world is not your personal dumping ground.

Labels:

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A few years back, Naas Town Council invited submissions from the public on the accessibility plan they were drawing up.

A mate of mine spoke at length on various issues, in particular about dog crap. It slowly began to dawn on the members that, in their eagerness to appear open to all comers, they had all shook the hand of the man who had propelled his wheelchair through streets covered in dog crap, gum, puke, spilt drinks etc.

The meeting was adjourned briefly for a "rest room break". Needless to say, they took his points into serious consideration.

9:55 a.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Hah! That's excellent Sneezy.

10:39 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate chewing gum and I would never ever litter. My dogs don't shit in public. They hold it in until the reach the seaming pile at the foot of my back yard. That aside I would clean it up if it where outside a garden or a playground or on an a pavement but in a field or up the mountains, no way, sure they are littered with cow and sheep shit, Dublin parks are home to needles, condoms and an array of junkie matter, a hell of a lot more harmful than dog shite. I have mailed Dublin City Council 4 times and sent them a letter about the local park and playground; nobody has come back to me. I went to the park last Sunday with my niece and nephew apart from the graffiti; there was a used condom on the bench, some dirty whore doing business in the park. Definitely address the Dog dirt but I’d rather see them make the litter from parks/junkies/brassers a major issue.

10:57 a.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

I don't know Nonny, I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a needle or a used condom, but I see plenty of dog shit daily. It's all vile though.

11:04 a.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

First they do away with as many pavement litter bins as they can. There are far fewer now than there used to be, the idea being bring it home in your pocket and pay to have it taken away.

The 25,500 tonnes they collect - presumably including dog poo - is currently a cost. The Council wants to turn that into a revenue stream... so, if you litter you pay. If you bring it home and put it in your bin you pay.

Once had neighbours with two dogs in a smallish garden. They used to collect the poo in a supermarket shopping bag and bin it each week. Now they're paying for the bag and on a pay-by-weight basis for the poo. Unless it's fertilising the nearby open green space...

11:08 a.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

I did comment on the complete and utter lack of bin arounds Rathfarnham/Rathgar/Templeogue before. It's ridiculous.
You can walk/run the Dodder for miles and not come across one, and that's bloody stupid, since everyone walks their dogs there.

11:11 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dog shit is by far the worst of all the animal shits. Fine the shit out of the owners who won't clean up.

11:12 a.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Right on!



* Actually cat shit is pretty vile too. And I speak as chief littertray cleaner outer.

11:26 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to see them monitoring and then fining the tossers who hand out leaflets in town, especially around the GPO and ESPECIALLY the anti-abortion crowd. Fanatical feckers.

11:28 a.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's Council policy, Missus. They no longer have the direct labour to collect from litter bins.

Say a dog poos, on average, 10lbs of poo a week. Multiply that by the number of dogs in Dublin. Then work out on a pay-by-weight basis how much it costs to landfill it. On second thoughts, Twenty's probably done this already.

11:29 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But it tastes sooo nice...

12:12 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in D12 and don't see that much of it to be honest, it's the parks that annoy me, kids playgrounds and such, dog shit can make kids go blind can't it or is it cat shit?


Incidentally, I read something last night, the authors writing style was remarkable like yours, I was all with the, “why id I didn’t know betters”, then I turned my imagination off, it was the forth of the four most excellent books I have read.

12:27 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Pinkie, they are a right bunch of annoying shits and no mistake. And loud and aggressive too.
Conan, I see what you mean, that is a hell of a pile of faeces.
Sheepie...erm.

Nonny- Toxoplasmosis, I think it's both. Although I could be wrong. You can definitely get it from cat poop though.


God I dislike the Black-Eyed Peas a whole lot.

12:45 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes my dear you are right, pink eye must be the adult equivalent

**Runs off to wipe cats ass in little mofo’s pillow!

1:04 p.m.  
Blogger daisy mae said...

huzzah! i HATE dog crap all over the place. HATE it. especially as the city is kind enough to put both bins and bags along all of the walking paths for dog owners. they even empty the bins and refill the bag dispensers. doesn't stop people from just letting their dogs go where they please, however.

my other pup pet peeve is those who don't feel they need to put their dog on a leash in public places. i always walk my dog on a leash - because i want to be sure i can control him, and because i know that not everyone likes dogs. however this whole 'dogs don't need leashes' fad drives me nuts - i have been chased, nipped at, and cornered, many a time while running or cycling. for every dog that is well behaved enough to walk off leash, i come across 20 that are not. the worst are those who walk their dogs off leash downtown - the dogs run across the street, enter shops, and are wholly mismanaged. and the number of times someone's dog has come up to my dog and started a tussle has gotten me to the point where i have to go out of my way to take the dog out of public areas.

3:15 p.m.  
Blogger Megan McGurk said...

This summer the city started telling people NOT to put their dog poo in the park or sidewalk trashbins and to take it home and put it in our green organic waste cycling bin.
How many people will do that?

Although the bags of poo can come in handy as a weapon when you need it. Mr. M has thrown many a bag at and in cars over the years who got too close to the dogs.

3:44 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Oh Daisy Mae, I couldn't tell you the amount of times I've been chased and snapped out by dogs who 'never did that before'. Jack Russells are the worst.

Medbh, I take it he has a terrific over arm!

3:49 p.m.  
Blogger Megan McGurk said...

FMC, its a wonder that no one ever freaked out about that. But I've seen many a bag of poo go splat against some wild motherfucker's car.

8:54 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is precisely the reason I don't own a dog. I hate dog shit.

9:45 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

When I get Batman I just know his poop will smell like roses. I just know it.

10:19 p.m.  
Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

gucci sito ufficiale
true religion outlet
polo ralph lauren
sac longchamp
mlb jerseys
coach outlet
polo ralph lauren outlet
nba jerseys
new orleans saints jerseys
pandora outlet

10:30 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home