Saturday, September 13, 2008

Motivation for Fatcats and possibly for Fatcat chumlies.

Bah!
You know how normally I'd put up a detailed daily report as to my hard work and exercise commitment and I can then sit back a read it content in the knowledge that no matter what ever else was falling down about my ears, at least I knew I'd been pulling my weight in the 'I'm training for a marathon' process.
Normally.
But the last few weeks have been so unrelenting hectic and filled with bunged noses and blocked ears and quirky fevers that left me weak, shivering, sensitive to light and dribbling with snot, that somehow, the training to do a bloody marathon that is really only 6 weeks away(!!!!) has trickled to nought.
From a training high of an almost 30k run a few weeks ago, this week's LONGEST run was 10k, and there was only one of them. That's right, one sodding 10 kilometre run. A 10k run that left me feeling tired and a little breathless. And down in the dumps. Blue, even. Deflated. I was the meringue that you shouldn't have checked.
Then I went traveling and working and talking to folk and had to have meeting, and I hate meetings. I kept saying, 'Just put your bloody runners on and get out there.' But the flesh was weaker than a soggy kitchen towel and so, filled with self loathing and inexplicable exhaustion, I found one reason after another to NOT do what I KNOW I should if I have any hope of running this year's marathon in the style I had originally hoped.
I have no excuses, yes I've been sick, yes I've been disgustingly busy, but don't I ALWAYS pontificate that folk should find time to train, to look after themselves? Don't I?
I do, but I've had to stable my high horse this week and use the shetland pony of self assessment.
Bah. The week was grimly dribbling to a halt when somehow yesterday I found the fortitude to alight from my ladder, put down my paint brush, shake out my aching limbs and drag my husk off to kickboxing.
And lo! Though I sense a new Memnoch in the making, I came out of class almost rejuvenated. I felt keen, mean, lean, and er...full of bean..s. There was pep in my step, groove in my moves, my head was held higher, I had twiddled my gazebo and unfurled the banner of health.
'Huzzah' I cried as I traipsed across the car park. Then I waved and said hello to a chap in such a demented cheery manner he looked afraid.
'Huzzah.'I thought, you SHOULD look afraid. I have six weeks. I can pull it off. I know I can.
Back to the field with you Shetland. Hakuna Matata!

Labels:

20 Comments:

Blogger Megan McGurk said...

Of course you can do it and you will, FMC.
I'm off with the pups to watch Mr. M's first big race. I would come over and cheer you in the marathon if it were possible.

1:52 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Well thank you, I hope Mister M flies true and safe.

2:12 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can do it, put your back in to it. I’m going to come home for that weekend to do it. I'm hoping 4h 30ish mins. Apparently when you believe in yourself you can do anything, Impossible is nothing and such, I’ll kill them fucks at adidas if they are lying. Good luck with it anyway.


Also, the two year old loved the video, I had better make myself comfortable I have a feeling we shall be here a while.


Nonny

2:34 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no doubt you're going to kick ass in a few weeks. Now you know we all have off weeks and somehow they get turned around again and you wind up stronger than before. Don't fret too much, do as much as your body says you can do, and you'll be in fine shape.

I had a great 3.5-mile run last weekend after staying off my feet and on two wheels for quite a while. Stunning, really, that I remembered how to run at all. The 10k that I was thinking of entering was this morning, and thankfully I didn't waste my $25 since it got rained out. Did you know a hurricane can be big enough for the eye to be in Texas and the outer bands to stretch near the midwestern border with Canada? I sure didn't.

2:37 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

For gawd's sake Nonny, if you have a two year old get out the whole Lion King video, it will keep you entertained for hours.

Cheers, Grims. I did not know that about hurricanes. I don't know a whole lot about them except they're bloody windy and rainy.

2:44 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not my two year old unfortunately I am just minding her for one month. I do have the Lion king, we are waiting on our fairy cakes to cook, You Tube is passing the time. Where or where would we be without it.

Alrighty, dogs, kids and I are going to the park and for a walk on the beach. That will be all my exercise for the day. Can I trust somebody to please have a large bottle of Bulmer’s in my honour?

Have a lovely afternoon everybody.

Nonny

3:09 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You will triumph in 6 weeks time, fmc. I haven't a doubtlet about it.

As for me, well, you know that cow you sometimes see in the field, standing apart from the rest in a corner, the one that's hardly moving except to crane for an extra juicy-looking blade of grass now and again? That lazy cow is me these past couple weeks.

I could blame it on children being sick and needing nursing, or on a volunteer opportunity I insanely took up at their school, or the political conventions or The Wire, but it won't wash even for myself. Fact is I've been indolent, sloth-like, as energetic as a cobble and I'll bet if I were to examine between my fingers and toes I would see the first few tendrils of moss beginning to grow there.

Moo.

This will be a better week.

3:45 p.m.  
Blogger daisy mae said...

i've been dreading this post as i've nothing to report, other than my severe increase in squishy-ness due to a sudden appetite for crap food coupled with lack of exercise. my meek defense is that j got laid off from work, a shit-ton of medical bills piled up on the doorstep, and so to make ends meet we picked up a paper route. which is surprisingly lucrative for the mere amount of time required. but the downside was that the first few days required waking at 3 am. *shudder*. we've got it down to where we can get up at 4:30 and be done by 6:30.

all of that, and i need new runners/trainers/sneakers.... i'm getting fitted this week!

here's to a fresh-start on monday - for everyone!

4:54 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know those recent postings you were doing on food, the right foods, the athletic foods and such. And you were putting in those high mileages at the same time.

It may be that the body needs your old diet or more of your old diet to fuel your increased training levels.

Or you may be smoking too much:-)

6:41 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, that's bad luck, Daisy Mae. Sorry to hear it. With any luck something even better will come along soon. All the best for the hunt.

7:46 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FMC - I have been alerted to the fact that you're in today's Irish Times!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/magazine/2008/0913/1221208712420.html

Go see!

7:48 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is there any anti-biotics involved?
Nobody posting nothing?
For me twice in the gym this week
1k row 4:21
3k row 14:31

7:51 p.m.  
Blogger Andraste said...

Shit. Worked out enough for basic fitness, but not enough for weight loss or anything strenuouss. Baaaaah.

Still. I am not fat. Just drunk and filled with cheese and popcorn.

D'you know - cheese and popcorn are just enough...

12:46 a.m.  
Blogger Manuel said...

well done with the Irish Times n that.....!

12:53 a.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Sorry to hear about the job Daisy Mae, I hope everything works out.
No antibiotics, no smoking, just a rotten wallop of something.
I don't like antibiotics and try to avoid them at all costs. ANy time I've ever had to take them I've been susceptible to cold and bugs and marmalade knows what for months after taking them. I know they're vital for infections, but they banjax me.

Nope, like Sam says, this week will be a better week.

9:32 a.m.  
Blogger daisy mae said...

ah thanks. it has actually all worked out - they just assigned him to the retail side of things. the nice part being that they're keeping all of his accumulated hours which will then count towards benefits.

4:57 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here in the UK its being called Meltdown Monday - everyone knows somebody who works at Lehmans, and everyone is worried about the knock on effects on other financial institutions. People are worried about their savings in building societies etc. I think maybe its time to to back to grandma's ways and start stitching the spare cash into the mattress.

3:20 p.m.  
Blogger Pat said...

Listen to your body! When you have the slightest bit of infection your body needs all its strength to combat it and so you were right to take it easier. I've been saying stuff like this for years to my boys and only now - in middle age - do they listen.
If you are fit and well you will do the marathon. If not, better you don't. I'll think of you when I'm trailing after Ian Botham on a four mile walk:)

3:32 p.m.  
Blogger Pat said...

Listen to your body! When you have the slightest bit of infection your body needs all its strength to combat it and so you were right to take it easier. I've been saying stuff like this for years to my boys and only now - in middle age - do they listen.
If you are fit and well you will do the marathon. If not, better you don't. I'll think of you when I'm trailing after Ian Botham on a four mile walk:)

3:33 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

What ho, Missus. Beware of running on 'empty'.

8:53 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home