Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Patrick Moore, come in, your number's up, dude.


God save us all from old gasbags. The following is from the BBC-which I really must stop reading as every day it causes me some form of outrage or other.

"British TV standards are deteriorating because the BBC is "run by women", astronomer Sir Patrick Moore has said.
The Sky at Night host also described female newsreaders as "jokey" and called for separate channels to cater for the needs of the different sexes.

"I think it may eventually happen," the 84-year-old told the Radio Times.
The presenter said: "The trouble is the BBC now is run by women and it shows soap operas, cooking, quizzes, kitchen-sink plays. You wouldn't have had that in the golden days."
'I would like to see two independent wavelengths - one controlled by women, and one for us, controlled by men."

He claimed that interesting programmes were screened too late at night, and said he would "rather be dead in a ditch" than appear on Celebrity Big Brother. And asked about his favourite series, Sir Patrick said he no longer enjoyed certain programmes because of their modern storylines.
"I used to watch Doctor Who and Star Trek, but they went PC - making women commanders, that kind of thing. I stopped watching."

Sir Patrick appears in the Guinness Book of Records as the longest-serving TV presenter, having appeared on his show about astronomy since 1957.

A BBC spokesman described Sir Patrick as being one of TV's best-loved figures and said his "forthright" views were "what we all love about him".

Erm his forthright views? Are they 'aving a laff? Women are ruining TV? Female Commanders are 'PC'? He might be old n stuff, but that doesn't stop or preclude him from sounding like a complete arsehole.

Labels:

23 Comments:

Blogger Kim Ayres said...

What's wrong with women on TV? Mmmmm... nude jelly wrestling...

10:10 a.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

You know, I'm less irked by that old fart's ramblings than the 'That's why we love him' line. I don't love him or his views, why should he get a pass just because he's old and has been on the telly since the year dot.

10:25 a.m.  
Blogger Yvonne said...

I remember Rik Mayall complaining about the same thing a few years ago. Apparently the reason he wasn't on tv any more was due to women running the BBC. (He also had a pop at minorities too, nice fella, not bitter at all)

10:25 a.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Rik Mayall was in the worst film ever called Drop Dead Fred. He's got every reason to be bitter.

10:42 a.m.  
Blogger Caro said...

I wouldn't let the auld fucker upset me, he will be dead in a ditch soon enough.

10:45 a.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Aye, true enough.

11:11 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said Caro!

11:34 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He has a point though: You never see women inter-galactic space commanders in real life so why should they be on TV.

*Runs away, doing cheeky laugh, chased by FMC with her laser set to castrate*

11:43 a.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Laser? Hah! Only dweebs use lazer.*





*hurls large, rotund, many clawed Puddy.

11:54 a.m.  
Blogger Andraste said...

Thing about Drop Dead Fred is that it was a great IDEA but just terribly executed. A competent director and screenwriter would have done a better job of it. I used to love "The Young Ones," and always thought Rik Mayall was a pretty talented guy. Too bad he's turned into such a bitter old bastard. I thought Bottom was doing well...or is it all over and it's only just made it over here...? We do tend to get the good stuff a couple of years behind you guys.

2:55 p.m.  
Blogger Sam, Problem-Child-Bride said...

What was that programme called again where Rick Mayall played Alan B'stard, Tory MP? I loved that.

3:05 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

The New Statesman, he was brilliant, evil, bitter and a complete knob. I wonder was he acting at all?

3:44 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Andraste, the Little Goth Kid is a Bottom worshipper and can recite whole chunks of it whenever she gets the chance/discovers tired fatcats/fatcat driving.
CHUNKS of it. But they don't make it any more, did you know the other chap in Bottom is the husband of Jennifer Saunders (Eddie from Ab Fab)

3:47 p.m.  
Blogger Twenty Major said...

It's funny how you look at the Young Ones now and it's about as funny as cancer of the anus.

4:38 p.m.  
Blogger Andraste said...

Funny - I did know that (about Ade Edmondson and Jennifer Saunders), and I was going to put that in my comment, but it was getting too long as it was, and I shut myself off.

Twenty - you're right, though SOME bits are still hilarious.

Like when the sandwich falls through the ceiling and Rik goes, "Well, that's just TYPICAL!" Still makes me giggle.

4:56 p.m.  
Blogger The Hangar Queen said...

He should be in the Guinness book as the World's Greatest Fuckwit.

5:10 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

I'd say there'd be some stiff competition for that slot, Miss Queen.

5:21 p.m.  
Blogger MairĂ©ad said...

There's a reason why old lads and lassies and Popes should retire at 65, 70 tops!!! Patrick Moore IS that reason personified!!!

11:03 p.m.  
Blogger Manuel said...

Awh bless. I cant wait to be old. I havent decided what kind of old person, there are so many types to choose from. Probably old man-smells-of-wee-and-shouts-alot seeing as I am half way there...

11:34 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't wait to be old. A bit like Dylan Moran's story about dinner with the kids when you're seventy...kid #1: "what's that smell?"; me: "I just shat myself...you deal with it!"

Hours of harmless fun...

12:40 a.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

I'm going to drink all day and tell obnoxious jokes and let my grand kids drink coke half an hour before they are to be returned to their parents.

2:11 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whether the grandkids like it or not!...I like your style.

My parents have been doing that to my kids since they (my kids that is) were born. Cunts (my parents that is)!

11:55 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm gone to inform my little brother, that he should also pay a visit this blog on regular basis to obtain updated from most recent gossip.
Also visit my homepage african mango diet scam

4:34 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home